- Join APA on Wednesday, May 16, and publish a post on your blog about mental health’s importance, how we can diminish stigma, or the challenges of making lifestyle and behavior changes. Tell your story. Share your experience. Mental health affects everything we do. No matter what you regularly blog about, there’s a way to incorporate mental health.
- Follow @apahelpcenter on Twitter for updates about the blog party and mind/body health. If you want us to easily find your blog or tweet, use the hashtag #mhblogday
- Post an “I’m Blogging for Mental Health” 2012 badge on your blog and help proudly spread the word about the importance of mental health.
- We’ll update the APA blog throughout the day with highlights of what people are writing about and sharing. (Here’s our round-up of links from last year.)
- Share stories, tips, and personal experiences about mental health to reinforce the shared challenges we face when it comes to managing our overall health and wellness.
- Post a video on YouTube, talking about why mental health matters to you. Or maybe you’d like to upload photos to Flickr. Let us know what you’ve done, so we can share it with others.
- Get resources about mental health, mind/body health, and family well-being at:
- Be a fan of the American Psychological Association on Facebook and share your post there.
- One in four Americans experiences a mental health disorder every year, according to the National Institutes of Mental Health.
- Chronic stress can affect both our physical and psychological well-being by causing a variety of problems including anxiety, insomnia, muscle pain, high blood pressure and a weakened immune system.
- Research published in the Journal of Health and Social Behavior (Vol. 41, No. 2) finds that 68 percent of Americans do not want someone with a mental illness marrying into their family and 58 percent do not want people with mental illness in their workplaces.