|Kathleen Ashton, Ph.D.|
Five Tips for Debt Crisis Stress Relief.
- Focus on what is in your control. Write, e-mail, or tweet your senator, congressperson, or the President. Let them know what your priorities are for spending and your opinion on tax breaks.
- Avoid information overload. Constant watching of 24 hour news channels, listening to pundits argue, reviewing internet articles can be overwhelming. Gather information in a small chunk from a reputable source.
- Don’t look too far ahead. Some people tend to think about all the worst case scenarios. Take one step at a time and don’t predict the future—unless you have psychic abilities!
- Maintain your usual coping strategies. Get outside, exercise, eat right, and socialize with your friends.
- Make one small step to balance your own budget. Taking action helps people to feel positive. Make a meal instead of going out tonight, skip the designer coffee, have a small amount taken out of your paycheck each week and automatically deposited into a savings account. You’ll be doing your own small part to be financially responsible.