Did You Know?
Fact: Tension-type headaches affect over 80% of women and around 65% of men, and up to one in 20 adults experience a headache everyday or almost everyday! (World Health Organization, 2005).
Details: The vast majority of headaches can be successfully managed. Keys to effectively reducing headaches include the following:
- Go to bed and get up at regular times each day and obtain an adequate amount of sleep nightly
- Avoid smoking and excessive use of alcohol
- Limit caffeine consumption since caffeine withdrawal may cause headaches
- Obtain a moderate amount of exercise weekly (three to five times a week)
- Participate in relaxation programs to reduce stress levels
- Avoid excessive restriction of food intake
- Drink plenty of water
- Avoid long-term excessive use of medications to treat headaches since this may result in medication-overuse headaches
- In may be appropriate to consider seeking medical evaluation and treatment in some cases
Be active: June 6th through June 12th is National Headache Awareness Week.
Links: American Headache Society: http://www.americanheadachesociety.org/
World Health Organization: http://www.who.int/en/
National Headache Foundation: http://www.headaches.org/